Sunday, April 10, 2016

Peer Review 11a

I think I need to start managing my time better. I say that only because I'm currently surrounded by 3 different notebooks, an ecology textbook, and 10 tabs open with only 3 pertaining to English. Oh, and also a bag of Cheetos. Yeah, it's becoming more apparent that I have a real problem here. At least the Cheetos are satisfying.



  • I incorporated the power of concession and refutation in an argument from the suggested readings in my feedback. 

  • I decided to make a brainstorming suggestion about other ideas or approaches to the assignment that I can imagine based on Mariana's rhetorical analysis. I think that the topic is really interesting and there is definitely framework for a great argument, but maybe take the opposing view (that horror movies don't have any effect on kids or that they can have a positive effect) as a concession to rile up the parents even more. Because nothing heats up an argument quite like calling a parent wrong or disproving their beliefs on raising kids. That would be an interesting argument to make as either the main argument or just the concession. Some food for thought.

  • I feel that by conceding to the opposing argument, it in turn strengthens the author's own argument. It shows that the author has taken into account opposing facts and refuting them with more statistics that support their own argument. However, by making the unseemly argument the main argument, it can add intrigue and fascination with the topic overall. What's a more likely article you'd read: "Horror Movies Bad for Kids" or "New Study Reveals Horror Movies are Great for Developing Children?" 

  • I really like how honest and open Mariana is in her writing. Her style of writing makes me want to keep reading and makes me genuinely interested in what she has to say. Hopefully I can have the same effect on people in my own writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment