Tuesday, January 19, 2016

My Crazy, OCD Writing Process

To be warned: I am usually a very serious writer, but I am trying to loosen up and add some flavor to my writing style so bear with me! This will be a journey for both of us so if you have any tips or advice to share I would love to hear them.

1. I would definitely say that my writing style is closest to a Heavy Planner. To be honest, it all started when I realized I was lazy. I just put all my effort in the beginning then slowly slacked off. It's like sprinting the 100 meter race versus running the two mile race in track. At first you have to have to give a hell of a lot of energy in the beginning, but then you get to sit back and laugh at all the fools still running.

2. As mentioned above, I prefer to think and outline before I actually sit down to write so that way I save time and I can organize my thoughts and think more clearly. That way  it's more like connecting the dots. I still revise my paper, but more for grammar and conventions versus content. When I revise I like to think I am just going through and cleaning up my paper rather than completely breaking it down and rebuilding it. It's a win-win: my paper is turned in on time and I get to sleep peacefully at night.

3. I've been pretty successful in the past so I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it right? Also, it stresses me out less since I have specific steps I take into writing my essay: heavy outlining, drafting, light revising then voila! You have a finished essay and no ulcers. Especially in college with a million other things to think about it is a lot easier to write a decent draft in one sitting and then not have to stress over redoing it later.

4. I don't know if it would be beneficial to try a different writing approach. I feel like I would get really stressed out and not be able to keep my thoughts together. I am a huge control freak and I feel like I would have a total meltdown if I tried to just jump into an essay like a Heavy Reviser would. To give you an idea, I get really excited when I see color-coded notes and I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to getting organized (but that's for another time).
Bollay, Brittney. "Self Portrait As A Stressed-Out Bride To Be." 10/15/2006 via flickr.com. Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic License.
I don't know about you, but this is how I feel whenever I sit down to start organizing my thoughts for a paper. This was actually my exact face when I sat down to write this blog. Anyway, I'm curious -- who else thinks being super organized in the beginning is the way to go?





No comments:

Post a Comment